Reviewing for End of Year Testing: Cover it all and keep it organized and fresh
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
End of year countdowns begin. The countdown to summer makes us smile! The countdown to end of year testing – not so much! Use these strategies to cover it all, and keep it organized and fresh when reviewing for end of year testing.
Cover it all and keep it organized:
- Jot down a list of the topics you want to review with your students before end of the year testing begins.
- Keep that list in Google or somewhere else online so that you can keep adding to it each year and throughout the year
- Be sure to include academic and content vocabulary in your review. Sometimes kids can get hung up on one word and not be able to truly show what they know.
- Once you have your list, print it out and cross items off as you review the concept with your kiddos. We love crossing things off our “to do” lists so paper and pencil work for us. If you prefer tech, keep track of the concepts you’ve covered by highlighting them.
Keep it fresh and fun:
- Play games! Reviewing while playing games makes the work motivating and fun. Which also increases the likelihood that the concepts will stick. Add the nicer weather into the mix when everyone gets spring fever and playing games can become a game changer for test review.
- Quizlet or Kahoot or Quizizz all have pre-made games in several areas so hopefully, they have what your kids need. Another option is to have your kids make the games – that helps kids cement the concepts as they make the game and also as they play the game.
- Have your kids prepare short review lessons. Let them work in small groups, keep their focus narrow and their prep time to about an hour so they stay focused. Encourage them to include short videos or make presentations to explain a concept. If they make a video, be sure to save it for next year. The younger kids will get a kick out of seeing the “big” kids’ creations. Voila – teachers in the making!
- Sing! We love songs to learn and to review concepts. Check out the selection on The Bazillions, Numberocks, and Schoolhouse Rock.
Reviewing for end of year testing doesn’t have to be drudgery!
End of year testing may be a fact of life but it can be meaningful and fun. Got more tips to share? Please do! Together, we can do this!
Let's stay in touch
Sign me up for exclusive offers, free gifts, product launches, tech help and so much more!
Stay inspired and in the know!